Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) offers a free online course for students, professionals and researchers.
Things to know:
- The free online course is called Fundamentals of Remote Sensing, Geographic Information System (GIS) and Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS).
- This can be completed in 15 weeks and is being carried out by the Indian Institute for Remote Sensing (IIRS), ISRO.
- The course includes 75 hours of learning spread over four modules.
- The four modules are the foundations of remote sensing, global navigation satellite system, geographic information system and geospatial technology applications.
The course is led by Dr Poonam S Tiwari, Scientist and Professor at Indian Institute for Remote Sensing, ISRO, Dehradun.
Dr Poonam holds a Masters in Remote Sensing and GIS Technology and obtained his PhD from IIT, Roorkee.
To access the official brochure, click here.
- Course duration – 15 weeks
- Start date – January 24, 2022
- End date – May 9, 2022
1. Remote sensing and digital image analysis: basic principles of remote sensing, Earth observation sensors and platforms, spectral signature of the various characteristics of land cover, image interpretation, thermal and microwave remote sensing, processing of digital images: basic concepts of rectification and registration, enhancement, techniques of classification and assessment of accuracy.
2. Global Navigation Satellite System: Introduction to Global Positioning System (GPS) and Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS), Receivers, Processing Methods, Errors and Accuracy.
3. Geographic Information System (GIS): GIS, databases, topology, spatial analysis and open source software.
4. RS and GIS applications: Agriculture and soils, forestry and ecology, geosciences and geohazards, marine and atmospheric sciences, urban and regional studies and water resources.
· The course consists of four modules.
· At the end of each module, you will have to present yourself for an assignment / quiz.
· The final exam will take place at the end of the course.
· The certificate will be issued on the basis of internal and final marks obtained.
To apply for the course, click here.